History and Change

* * *

Mayfair House and the land on which it is built has a long and illustrious history.

The Connaught Hotel in 1935.
In 1700, the area had little but fields dotted by the odd cluster of small, narrow houses and taverns. By 1800 a transformation had occurred and fashionable clientele were attracted to the splendid Georgian avenues, parks and squares of Mayfair. In Carlos Place, previously Charles Place, a potter called Josiah Wedgewood opened his showroom.

The Mayfair Village, including Carlos Place, was largely developed and owned by the noble Grosvenor family. The one rarity is Mayfair House whose Freehold remains till today in private hands alongside the Grosvenor Estate. From 1885, finishing in 1895, the family commissioned the architect James Front Smith to design the red brick and terracotta Queen Anne revival style houses that defines the area’s architecture today. By the Victorian era Carlos Place was given curving corners into Mount Street.
Mayfair in the late 18th Century.

Allen the Butcher in early 1900's.
It was also at this time that the Coburg Hotel (renamed The Connaught in 1917, after Queen Victoria’s son) was rebuilt. In 1920-21 Mayfair House was built by the Holloway Brothers to the designs of Edmund Wimperis and Simpson.

Mayfair was the place to be seen for bohemians and aristocrats. Evelyn Waugh and John Betjeman were part of the scene, as was Coco Chanel, the Duke of Westminster Hugh Grosvenor’s lover, who opened a boutique on Davies Street.

Today the area has become a destination in its own right. Now set for a new future, Mayfair House takes its place as a collection of private residences of distinction in this prime area of Central London.
Mayfair House in 1976